Power Puff Girls have designs on you

P for Power Puff Girls. P for Pratyush Kumar. P for Perfect combo :)

Pratyush Kumar to make Power Puff Girls come alive, thanks to Cartoon Network Enterprises

Young designer Pratyush Kumar
Cartoon Network's Power Puff Girls make toon-chic ramp ready in Pratyush Kumar's ready to wear collection

Pratyush bats some straight-offs with Girl with the Blue Scarf:

Q. Power Puff Girls are such an iconic impactful toon figure; how do you intend to reach out to the masses with your association?

P: Superheroes have inspired me, ever since I was a child. I wanted to work on a collection, which could relate across all age groups and had a strong childhood memory. Powerpuff Girls (PPG) has always depicted what the world needs; power, independence and equality towards women. Women today are strong willed and independent and walking hand in hand with men across all fields. I feel women who have grown up watching this series back in their childhood will surely connect to the collection. Cartoon Network is a leading kid’s entertainment channel, which has been loved by 90’s kids and today’s generation as well. The association with Cartoon Network is a great platform to showcase my collection and reach out to millions of its audience.

Q. How much business sense does 'Toon Chic' make for you as a designer? Many people find toons and caricature usage an easy way out while designing, how will you prove them wrong?

P: I can call myself a designer with creative skills but when it comes to business, I am new to the whole thing. The label is very new; it’s been just two months since I’ve launched my first collection and the response has been amazing. But business is a serious thing where the market and product go hand in hand and that is our focus for Powerpuff Girls collection. From marketing to price range, we are focusing on each element to make this into a successful partnership with Cartoon Network. I believe nothing is easy, a simple looking ensemble looks easy to the eyes of clients but what goes behind the scene is unknown to the people, hence they end up considering any kind of design easy, which is same with toons and caricatures usage. Our silhouettes, intelligent-smart placement of cartoon characters, surface textures and detailing prove that every piece is a work of art. We have spent days and nights on each.

Q. Let us know about your growing up years and which cartoon series made the greatest impact on your mind. How did designing as a professional pick your attention.

P: I have lived in a much disciplined environment, where studies and sports were given utmost importance. Comics were a part of my road trip and train journeys, which always kept me closer to my love for cartoons and caricatures. I have always loved action packed cartoons since childhood, from DC, Marvel to Powerpuff Girls and I find them inspiring even now. DC characters had a great impact on me, especially, Superman and Batman.
I wanted to be a surgeon and had planned to give my entrance exam for the same, but my elder brother asked me to follow my passion and make a promising career out of it. I wasn’t sure about fashion design until I came across the works of Alexander McQueen and Hussein Chalayan. Their work made me choose fashion designing and today I feel proud that I made that my career.

Q. Understanding the Indian market, buyers-seller sensibilities and the dire need to keep costs realistic, what as per you is the right combination to make your brand successful?

P: For me creativity comes above all. If my work is not creative, I end up not working on that design. Once that is achieved the cost of the product depends on the hanger appeal and the amount of time spent on each product. So keeping the cost realistic based on the amount of work done and the hanger appeal we step towards success. But along with this, marketing and packaging of the product is also very important for our label’s success.

Q. How excited are you about your association with Cartoon Network? How did this association come through? Any special surprises in store?

P: Let me tell you a story, I have been waiting for Lakme Fashion Week 2017 for the past two years. In 1997 Alexander McQueen’s La Poupée or The Doll collection made him the most controversial British designer and the world came to know about the legendary designer in the making. Today, I am trying to debut in a fashion week and this ready to wear collection is a tribute to him.
When I decided to submit my collection at the upcoming fashion week, I knew I wanted to bring alive the superhero we’ve watched as kids. I decided to reach out to Cartoon Network as I wondered who apart from Powerpuff Girls could be the best inspiration. I feel extremely honoured to be called the first Indian designer to partner with a global brand like Cartoon Network. The association with Cartoon Network will surely open different avenues and provide me the larger perspective to the collection and my designs.

WHO IS PRATYUSH KUMAR?
In this promising young designer's words. He is an Indian by birth and a creator by heart.
"I am the amalgamation of art and science. I have always felt the urge to fuse the two-art and science and create a world, which belongs to me and where I can be free to experiment. A graduation in fashion designing and Masters in Fashion bodywear has led me to realize the vast potential within me as a designer. De Mont Fort University, where I have done my masters has prompted me to bring out my passion and show it to the world.
Learning the art of body contour, draping around the body and creating body suits was what
I learnt in my Masters. I believe that my observational skills and my skills to conceptualize my
2D design into 3D form make me a strong creator. I observe every minute detail of my
inspiration before developing a design. Use of strong colors, using techniques from
other design fields and giving a purpose to the design is what I aim for. My research and hand illustration supports my thought process."

GIRL WITH THE BLUE SCARF says: Power Puff Girls was the nickname given to us three sisters during my childhood years. When Pratyush Kumar was selected by Cartoon Network to make this toon figure come alive, I was nostalgic. Just a little prodding revealed Pratyush's smart enthusiastic style of designing. Three cheers to the man with 'Toon Chic' vision.

 #lakmefashionwk #pratyushcreatesPPGCollection #CartoonNetworkEnterprises #PowerpuffGirls #CartoonNetworkIndia

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Pratyush, you are a smart and lucky man. Great launchpad with Cartoon network.
All the best ahead.

Shishir Arora, Pune
Anonymous said…
Hi Pratyush,

Allow us to publish your interview tidbits on some select websites too to help other aspiring design student make waves. Hope this is fine.

Vinita Ahmed
AP
Anonymous said…
To vinita Ahmed, this is an intern of Pratyush Kumar Maurya Label. Please email the details about websites where the interview will be published and also about the interview on dezign.technology@gmail.com . Regards

Popular posts from this blog

When a man makes an indecent proposal..to a man

Allah tero naam. Ishwar tero naam - TM Krishna's rendition changed my outlook in life. What keeps you?