'Ladies tailor' comes to town


Manish Arora to rock the Mumbai ramp

Designer Manish Arora, yes! the one who dressed up Britney Spears for her Circus tour, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry and many more, is now making his way to participate at the Lakme Fashion Week in September 2010. He answers a few straight-offs...

@ You are a Mumbai boy essentially. You moved to Delhi and then almost made Paris your base. How does it feel to come back to the place where you did your first big show (India Fashion Week) way back in 2002. Excited, nostalgic, curious?

M: To me, Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata, etc are all home. India is by home. So I feel very happy to showcase my designs here and even more ecstatic when I am appreciated in my country.


@ Tell us about your show, the collection at Lakme Fashion Week 2010 and of course, how you will effortlessly weave neon prints?

M: As an artist, you can find inspiration from almost anything, from eras and civilizations to people and places - The list is endless. During the time that we were designing the AW’10 line I was deeply inspired by the Art Deco era, especially Metropolis which was a cult film from that time. As for the show all I will say is.. You definitely wont be disappointed.


@ Giving a spin to iconic structures of the art deco, how do you plan to go ahead with that?

The shapes are inspired by the 20’s and 30’s. I’ve emphasised on dropped waists, fitted shapes, with detailed shoulders and futuristic structure. Dresses below the knee, tulip shaped skirts, oversized jackets and jodhpurs constitute are a strong part of the collection. The color palette includes shades of green, purple, black, with gold and neon colours – something on the lines of stained glass. Surface textures embroidery. Mechanical watch parts and hand woven lace are some of the innovative embellishments used. Ive used industrial and abstract deco motifs from the 20s and translated them into prints and my trademark – embroideries featuring appliqué, intricate threadwork and sequin hand embellishment .


@ You've had design associations with Swatch, Vodka, Reebok, Travel and Living, Book launch...you tell us what's next. Is there a dream you harbour, that you wish to accomplish some time soon.

m: I have collaborated with several brands throughout my career. I guess its my individual approach to design that creates a real sense of collaboration with these brands that works really well for both of us. You will be seeing a very big collaboration in November.


@ Beyond a doubt, you are a fabulous brand yourself. You are one of the very few Indian designers to have made such an impact internationally. How do you feel to have made India proud, in the foreign arena. Please share a moving moment you've experience in the past that you can recollect.

m: Firstly, Thank You for the compliment! I'm very grateful that I have had the opportunity to show my designs internationally and that I have found a space in the international fashion industry. Saying that there is a lot of competition would be an understatement. I have to keep on pushing hard to be noticed and accepted and to be bought by buyers. I would say this is just the beginning of my career.


@ You've dressed by Britney, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry and many others. Who's the next on your design map. In India, who would you like to dress? And why?

m: All strong confident women to whom ‘dressing up’ comes naturally. By that I don’t mean simple and toned down – I mean dressing for yourself – as an extension of your personality – and not dressing just to be ‘noticed’.


@ Does the Mumbai-Delhi fashion barrier mean anything to you?

M: Both cities have their own strong fashion sense. I feel at home in both places.


@ Do showstoppers provide any emphasis to a design? Are you fine to have one in your shows. Are you planning to have one at your show in LFW, Mumbai?

M: The whole concept of ‘showstopper’ in our country is wrong. We are so far from its actual meaning that it has been distorted beyond proportion. The ‘showstopper’ is that one ensemble that ties the whole collection together. So yes, I will have quite a few showstoppers at the show.

Girl with the Blue Scarf says: This is one self-confessed ladies tailor who can charm any woman. Absolutely down to earth and so refreshing with his ambitions. Welcome to Mumbai, Manish...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wonder why such shows are not open to all. But an onlien presence of his show coverage will be helpful, espeically to beauty and fashion students.

Popular posts from this blog

When a man makes an indecent proposal..to a man

Allah tero naam. Ishwar tero naam - TM Krishna's rendition changed my outlook in life. What keeps you?